Legal Process Outsourcing has its roots from KPO (Knowledge Process Outsourcing).In India LPO started as a low-end work mainly including transcription. Gradually LPO have started dealing with high-end knowledge intensive work as well. Legal work including advising clients, patent application research drafting, legal, pre-litigation documentation, , analyzing drafted documents, writing software licensing agreements to drafting distribution agreement is being outsourced to India. The LPO Industry has grown to a vast extent in the last few years. Today patent filing has a separate existence and is referred as Patent Process Outsourcing (PPO)Legal Process outsourcing to India
The factors which have contributed to the growth of LPO’s in India are listed below:
- The Indian Legal System is much similar to countries like UK, US, Canada, and Europe.
- Our Indian litigation and dispute resolution methodologies are well founded and are understood universally.
- Indian legal system is one of the most researched legislations
- Availability of English speaking attorneys
- Time zone advantages
- Indians are familiar with common law doctrines
- Availability of well qualified attorney’s meeting US/UK qualifications
- Quality and speedy work done by the Indian attorney’s
- Cost saving advantage: It costs upto 80 percent outsourcing the legal process to India than to US firms
- LPO’s in India working 24/7
Indian legal professionals are good interpreting the laws analytically.Indians are familiar with the common English laws.
Apart from India ,U.S does the majority of legal outsourcing. Also countries like UK, France, Australia, South Korea, Japan and China provide legal services. LPO industry has initially faced many of the struggles that early BPO outsourcing faced, yet it is expected io become a major sector of offshore outsourcing in coming years.